This recipe, in a 20cm tin
- 200g (7 oz) plain flour
- 200g (7 oz) caster sugar
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 250ml (8 fl oz) water
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Lightly grease a 13x23cm loaf tin or a 20cm round cake tin.
- Sieve together the flour, sugar, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Add the oil, vanilla, vinegar and water. Mix together until smooth.
- Pour into prepared tin and bake at 180 C for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
This is very easy to make, so much so I made it with the help of two children. It is also sufficiently nice that non vegans will not notice it’s lacking in butter. It makes me question the necessity of eggs in baking.
For icing, I beat cold coconut oil (about 4 tbsp) with chocolate powder (3 tbsp), icing sugar (8 tbsp?) and a dash of almond milk until it looks right.
You need to wait for the cake to cool if you’re doing this, or the oil melts and separates out.
We ate it before I could take a photo.